Hi Campers! Read all the titles from the list below. If your public library does not own a title or the waiting list is too long for your tastes, don’t forget your library card is good at all SELCO libraries. Requesting a book from elsewhere within Minnesota is another option through MNLINK. Happy Reading! (PDF of List)
Please note that some of the books on this list may seem like they’re too simple or too advanced for these grade levels. These selections were done so deliberately so as to help support the many readers along the entire length of the spectrum.
- Freedom Over Me: Eleven Slaves, Their Lives, and Dreams Brought to Life - by Ashley Bryan (Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books, 2016), 9781481456906
- Garvey’s Choice - by Nikki Grimes (WordSong, 2016), 9781629797403
- It Ain’t So Awful, Falafel - by Firoozeh Dumas (Houghton Mifflin, 2016), 9780544612310
- Mighty Jack - by Ben Hatke (First Second, 2016), 9781626722651
- One Half from the East - by Nadia Hashimi (HarperCollins, 2016), 9780062421906
- Talking Leaves - by Joseph Buchac (Dial Books, 2016), 9780803735088
- The Bone Sparrow - by Zana Fraillon (Disney-Hyperion, 2016), 9781484781517
- The Other Boy - by M.G. Hennessey (HarperCollins, 2016), 9780062427663
- Things Too Huge to Fix by Saying Sorry - by Susan Vaught (Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books, 2016), 9781481422796
- Yellow Time - by Lauren Stringer (Beach Lane Books, 2016), 9781481431569) [Featured Author]
- Answering the Cry for Freedom: Stories of African Americans and the American Revolution - by Gretchen Woefle (Calkins Creek, 2016), 9781629793061
- Rad Women Worldwide: Artists and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History - by Kate Schatz (Ten Speed Press, 2016), 9780399578861.
- Samurai Rising: The Epic Life of Minamoto Yoshitsune - by Pamela S. Turner (Charlesbridge, 2016), 9781580895842
- We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement That Defied Adolph Hitler - by Russell Freedman (Clarion Books, 2016), 9780544223790
- You Can Fly: The Tuskegee Airmen - by Carole Boston Weatherford (Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2016), 9781481449380
- Camper’s Choice – Grades 4-5 - Any title of your choice!
All book descriptions taken from the Goodreads website.